Please select your location and preferred language where available.
Kioxia Introduces New BG6 Series Client SSDs, Brings PCIe® 4.0 Performance and Affordability to the Mainstream
New Drives Feature 6th Generation BiCS FLASH™ 3D Flash Memory; 2,048GB SSDs Maintain M.2 2230 Form Factor
- May 23, 2023
- Kioxia Corporation
Tokyo – Kioxia Corporation today announced the addition of the KIOXIA BG6 Series to its lineup of PCIe® 4.0 solid state drives (SSDs) – the first product to feature the company’s new 6th generation BiCS FLASH™ 3D flash memory(1) and almost 1.7 times the performance of its predecessor(2). Designed to unleash the increased speeds and affordability of PCIe® 4.0 for PC users, the powerful and compact KIOXIA BG6 Series client SSDs offer a discrete M.2 2230 form factor with higher capacities and improved power efficiency. M.2 2280 single-sided form factor versions are also available. The KIOXIA BG6 Series will start sampling in the second half of 2023 for OEM customer evaluation.
The KIOXIA BG6 Series unlocks back-end flash performance while maintaining affordability and increasing capacity, making it an especially attractive option for commercial and consumer notebooks and desktops. The KIOXIA BG6 drives support the fully matured Host Memory Buffer (HMB) technology, which utilizes part of the host memory (DRAM) as if it were its own, to realize a DRAM-less, high-performance SSD.
Additional features and benefits include:
- Capacities of 256 gigabytes (GB), 512 GB, 1,024 GB and 2,048 GB(3)
- PCIe® 64 gigatransfers per second (GT/s) interface (Gen4 x4 lanes)
- Up to 6,000 megabytes per second (MB/s) sequential read and 5,300 MB/s sequential write
- Up to 850,000 IOPS(4) random read and 900,000 IOPS random write
- Forward-looking support for the NVMe™ 1.4c feature set and basic management command over System Management Bus (SMBus), enabling tighter thermal management
- Support for the latest TCG Pyrite and Opal standards(5), as well as end-to-end data protection ensures data is secure whether at home or in the office
- Power Loss Notification signal support to protect data against forced shut downs
- Sideband signal (PERST#, CLKREQ# and PLN#) support for both 1.8V and 3.3V
- Support platform firmware recovery feature
- 256 GB and 512 GB SSDs use 5th generation BiCS FLASH™ 3D flash memory.
- Comparing KIOXIA BG5 Series vs. BG6 Series
- Definition of capacity: Kioxia Corporation defines a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes, a gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes and a terabyte (TB) as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. A computer operating system, however, reports storage capacity using powers of 2 for the definition of 1GB = 2^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes and 1TB = 2^40 bytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes and therefore shows less storage capacity. Available storage capacity (including examples of various media files) will vary based on file size, formatting, settings, software and operating system, and/or pre-installed software applications, or media content. Actual formatted capacity may vary.
- IOPS: Input Output Per Second (or the number of I/O operations per second).
- Availability of security/encryption options may vary by region.
- NVMe is a registered or unregistered mark of NVM Express, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
- PCIe is a registered trademark of PCI-SIG.
- Other company names, product names, and service names may be trademarks of third-party companies.
Kioxia is a world leader in memory solutions, dedicated to the development, production and sale of flash memory and solid-state drives (SSDs). In April 2017, its predecessor Toshiba Memory was spun off from Toshiba Corporation, the company that invented NAND flash memory in 1987. Kioxia is committed to uplifting the world with “memory” by offering products, services and systems that create choice for customers and memory-based value for society. Kioxia's innovative 3D flash memory technology, BiCS FLASH™, is shaping the future of storage in high-density applications, including advanced smartphones, PCs, SSDs, automotive and data centers.
Global Sales Offices
Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is correct on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.